sábado, 23 de agosto de 2014

Black Food

Whenever I get back to Portugal I always hear stupid stereotypical shit like "You need to eat here, before you go back to America and eat those hamburgers". The notion that just because corporate America exports a particular German dish then all you eat in America are German cow meat dumplings, is ridiculous.
 There is an unparalleled variety of ethnic cuisines represented in the United States, on this post I will focus, nevertheless, on this morning's brunch (another unique American invention the fusion of breakfast and lunch). There is a universe of typical American cuisine areas of expertise, from the roasts, to pies all the way to cajun.  But today I went to one of the best African American fried chicken joints around. That's right my European friends, there is such a thing as African American cuisine, though I'll just call it black because I am not PC. Black cuisine basically involves fried chicken with various types of gravy and soft bakery, from biscuits (American for scone) to pancakes and waffles.
I went for brunch at "Roscoe's  Chicken n'Waffles" in Hollywood. In LA it's very hard, almost impossible to find a restaurant that is not a chain even if it's a chain of two, so this is not the only Roscoe's around. I was seated as soon as I arrived, I ordered an Arnold Palmer to drink and an Obama's Special - it wasn't an Italian restaurant or else it would have been the Scalia veal.  The Obama had three pieces of chicken wings a waffle with butter and maple syrup. The flavor fusion may shock some of you on the other side of the pond as it shocked me when I got here, but I assure you it is delicious.
The only problem with Roscoe's is the price, 14 dollars plus tip is not a good price, specially when another black restaurant that uses biscuits instead of waffles,  Honey's Kettle in Culver City, matches the quality and portion size for less than 12 dollars.
You can see the Obama Special.



Butter and maple syrup for the waffle and three chicken wings. What it lacks in sophistication it makes up in flavor.

A bass player outside, sharing his groove with the surroundings.

Honey's Kettle chicken with biscuit and gravy, just as good and much cheaper.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário