domingo, 14 de julho de 2013

Proper Hispster Haircut

Today I went for a hair cut with my friend Alex Moglan. I usually go to the Imperial Barber Shop in down town's Little Tokyo, but the owner/hairdresser is recovering from surgery to her forearm so this time I decided to follow Alex's advice.
Alex is an actor and a good looking mother fucker so I knew this had to be good. We went to the Proper Barber Shop on Fairfax and 3rd.
The place has a very interesting vibe. It's like you are in a tattoo parlor – the guys who cut hair there have more tattoos than many proud sailors – the decoration is barroc kitch and there's even a bust of Ron Jeremy on the wall next to skate boards, posters and paraphernalia from the iPhone generation.
During the haircut the hairdressers talk to each other about musical tastes, which I thought is an upgrade from the football (yes, yes I don't say soccer) comments from the barber shop I used to go to when I was a kid with my dad. Your chair spins as they cut your hair and the music is mainly heavy metal, but the good stuff like Pantera and Metallica, no Nickelback shit. As far as haircuts go, they follow the Cristiano Ronaldo school of shaved on the sides with a sort of pompadour on top, a crew cut for the mentally sane that goes by hipster fashion these days. All the guys cutting hair there had that cut and all the customers, including my boy Alex asked for the same. Yes, originality only goes so far, but not for me, I had to be different, and I was.
My haircut, after a lot of chair spinning, was not as good as I wanted it. I like my hair, really, really short and really, really messy, but by the third time I asked the guy to cut it a bit shorter I gave up. It was 20 bucks and I gave a 4 dollar tip (got carried away). I didn't get what I wanted but I loved the vibe of the place, and if the Imperial hairdresser doesn't recover soon I may comeback to Proper for a hair cut and some more hipster moments.
After  the haircut, chicken wings and beer with my boy Alex at the Hudson. It's good to spent time with friends.
Proper Barber Shop in LA (Ron Jeremy bust on top of cashier)


Hipster client waiting for shaved on the sides Hipster North Korean hair cut.

My boy Alex waiting for me by the window, that guy would look good even with a Mop-Top

1 comentário:

  1. Precisamos de mais bons momentos como este. Tão cosy, tão diferente, tão in. Esta barber shop é realmente o máximo. Inspiradora para um Paul Auster, inspiradora para um David Pina.

    ResponderEliminar